No one enjoys dealing with mucus; it's truly a silent killer that only makes its appearance when it's too late, and you're already suffering. Mucus is a natural part of our body's functioning, but excess phlegm can cause nasty coughs, rattly lungs, husky voices, and a myriad of other issues no one wants to put up with. Luckily for those of us who suffer from excessive mucus in throat, there are endless over-the-counter, a doctor's prescription, and home remedy solutions to preventing and eliminating excessive mucus!
We are excited to share with you our top ten list of the best home remedies for mucus in throats that you'll be able to use in your own home with minimal to no extra purchases! These remedies have been tested rigorously and proven to be effective at fighting against mucus so you can finally say goodbye to the complications associated with unwanted excessive phlegm! Let's take a look so you can get started improving your health and quality of life.
Mucus in Throat FAQs
We found and answered a few important frequently asked questions that will help you understand what mucus is, what role it plays in our bodies, what causes excessive mucus in throat, when you should be concerned or see a doctor, and what precautions you can take to avoid excessive mucus before you suffer from it. We also included a few extra helpful remedies for fighting off mucus and where you can find and purchase the best remedies out there!
1. What Are the Causes?
Mucus is often referred to as the silent worker; it infiltrates your body without you even knowing until you feel sick and are coughing it up. The reason for this is that it's actually critical in forming a protective layer to keep your nose and airways from collecting dust, dirt, and germs.
The antibodies within mucus kill germs to protect you from infection, but if you produce excess phlegm, it can drip down your throat giving you a nasty
Allergies or viral illnesses like the common cold can produce extra mucus in the throat and so can a condition like tuberculosis, pneumonia, bronchitis, or any other infection of the upper airways or lungs. Excess mucus in throats could also be an indication of a chronic lung disease or asthma, and smokers are prime targets for producing excess mucus that may damage the lungs over time.
2. When Should I See a Doctor?
You should schedule an appointment with your doctor or primary physician as soon as possible if there is excess mucus in your chest for more than three days in a row.
If your congestion suddenly and unexpectedly gets worse or appears green/yellow when it's coughed up, you should also consider these a cause to see your doctor.
Do not hesitate to see a doctor immediately if you have breathing difficulties, chest pain, if you cough up any blood, if you have contracted a fever, and/or if you're wheezing at all.
3. What Precautions Should I Take?
- You should avoid germs and allergens at all costs.
- Never underestimate the power of disinfectant wipes and make sure you wash your hands frequently especially if someone around you is exhibiting cold or flu symptoms.
- Try staying away from substances you're sensitive to as well, as these may break down your natural defenses and leave you more vulnerable than usual.
- Always make sure you're fueling your body with the right foods as well.
- A healthy and a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables will do wonders for making your immune system stay strong and healthy for longer.
- If germs penetrate your defenses, you'll be more likely to fight them off successfully if you have a proper diet.
- No diet is complete without exercise and sufficient sleep as well!
- Natural remedies (besides the ones on our list) will help prevent mucus in throats with foods such as tulsi leaves, yogurt, and garlic to strengthen your immunity.
- Tulsi leaves activate the immune system, yogurt contains good bacteria, and garlic will help you fight (or get over faster) the common cold.
4. What Are Other Remedies?
Changing your diet to include things like soups, water, and warm drinks, soybeans, or other beans/lentils, fruits and vegetables (fresh or frozen), wholegrain rice, pasta, and bread, and garlic/other herbs and spices will help you eliminate mucus in throat and keep your immune system strong.
Yoga is excellent for clearing congestion and mucus from your nasal passages, especially poses such as the bridge pose, the camel, the plow, the bow, and the headstand. This may take some practice, and you might want to have your doctor's (or at least a friend's) help with this, but hitting certain pressure points will make your body believe its lines of energy are being stimulated which promotes faster healing. There are lots of helpful YouTube videos on guided acupressure therapy, go check them out!
5. Where Can I Find The Best Natural Home Remedies?
How We Reviewed
Our team spent much time and effort to bring you this unbiased best-of list featuring the ten best remedies for mucus in throats by testing and reviewing countless models of the presented products to weed out only the best. We hope this list provides you with much-needed relief from mucus symptoms and gives you ideas for bettering your health and quality of life. We reviewed these ten items based on the following parameters: their respective unique features, their pros and cons, the price of any market products associated with the remedy, and an Amazon link to check out those products and purchase them for yourself.
We reviewed the following remedies:
- VICKS STEAM INHALER: Vicks Personal Steam Inhaler, with a soft, comfortable face mask & compatible with soothing menthol...
- PERSONAL STEAM INHALER: Many find that using a steam inhaler for sinus relief or other breathing problems, such as...
- COUGH AND CONGESTION RELIEF: When you have a cold, coughing and congestion can make you miserable. Vicks personal steam...
This will loosen mucus in throats to move it out of your body faster. If you don't want to fix a bowl and stand over it to inhale the vapors, a steamy shower twice daily will also do the trick.
- COOL MIST HUMIDIFIER: Add cool moisture to dry air with this quiet humidifier. The 1 gallon tank runs up to 24 hours on...
- FILTERED COOL MOISTURE: Evaporative Technology blows moisture off a wicking filter, helping it evaporative into the air...
- HONEYWELL HUMIDIFIERS: Humidity levels in your home between 40-60% can make the air feel warmer & improve your breathing...
Moisture in the air will thin mucus in your nose and chest. We recommend a cool-mist humidifier as it's safer around children and pets and more cost-effective for energy use.
- Nasal Cleansing: Porcelain Neti Pot protects and refreshes your nasal passages to ensure better health and natural...
- Immune Support: this Neti Pot Porcelain enhances sinus and immune support which makes nasal irrigation easy and...
- Lead-Free Pot: is used with a nasal wash of high-grade salt and distilled water to clear away pollens, dust and other...
This is a popular method of performing the practice of flushing out the sinuses and nasal passages with salt-water and is proven to be more effective than decongestant spray to clear mucus in throat problems.
- MADE IN USA - 100% Natural Created by Board Certified Natural Doctor, Valerie Nelson
- IMMUNE SYSTEM SUPPORT - Quickly Strengthens Immunity To Fight Sickness & Anti-Viral
- ALL NATURAL PLANT BASED - Feel Safe Taking A Non-Toxic Formulation That Does Not Destroy Healthy Immune System Bacteria
This herbal remedy will soothe and shrink swollen mucus membranes and will reduce the amount of time you experience flu symptoms.
- FOR GOOD DIGESTION: Himalaya Organic Licorice provides digestive support and helps maintain normal gastrointestinal...
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC & PLANT BASED: Himalaya Organic Licorice is NON-GMO Verified and each caplet is also free- from...
- CLINICAL STRENGTH EXTRACT: Each Himalaya Organic Licorice caplet is equivalent to 2,246 mg of powder. Himalaya Organic...
This will loosen and thin mucus in your airways and may even fight viruses that cause mucus overproduction. Licorice caplets offer a certified USDA organic, non-GMO, and vegan solution.
- Simply Organic: Organic and raw, our vinegar is unpasteurized, unfiltered and potently pure
- Full of Goodness: Contains the Mother of vinegar and made from the organic fruit of certified apples
- Amazing Taste: Adds smooth, delicious and healthy flair to salads, veggies, snacks and beverages
This relieves chronic sinusitis and allergy symptoms. You can make all kinds of tasty drinks and ingest them thrice daily until your mucus clears!
- Natural sore throat gargle remedy. This sore throat relief decreases inflammation and soothes persistent cough, sinus...
- Support a faster recovery time by treating the infection, rather than masking the pain. Gargle Away restores natural pH...
- In addition to soothing sore throat, deep sinus and head congestion from cold, Gargle Away also repairs strained vocal...
This creates a high-salt barrier that pulls out fluids from tissues in your throat. It also removes mucus in throat, irritants, and infections.
- Anise seed is a lovely spice that can add a wonderful aroma and flavor to your cooking
- Anise seed can be used in whole or ground form to add an aromatic licorice flavor to recipes
- Star anise is commonly used in its whole form to flavor teas, marinades, soups, broths, and other liquids
Aniseed can break up mucus in throat and relieve congestion effectively. Crushing a few teaspoons of this remedy and steeping it in boiling water for ten to fifteen minutes will clear mucus quickly.
- COMBINING BALANCE and SOUL, our crafted delicious teas are expertly blended for superior quality. A variety pack that...
- BREATHE EASY TEA: Medicinal Tea with great health benefits which can help to lower risk for many diseases and speed up...
- USDA ORGANIC: Product Devoid Colorants, Preservatives and artificial Sweeteners. The whole manufacturing Process from...
Not only will this remove mucus in throat feeling, the antiseptic properties will boost your immunity and soothe an irritated throat.
- 100% PURE, RAW, AND NATURAL HONEY as made by the honeybees from the flower nectar they gather, transform and store in...
- QUALITY CLOVER HONEY. Cox’s Honey comes from the very best high mountain clover. It is perfectly mild and...
- IDAHO HONEY. Our honey is grown in or near Southeastern Idaho. Our honey comes to you as pure as nature made it,...
The antibacterial properties of honey are effective in soothing the throat and, when paired with lemon, will offer Vitamin C to boost your immune system with its antioxidant and anti-viral properties.
No one likes dealing with excessive mucus in throat feeling and there are so many causes it's hard to avoid it. Pick out your favorite remedy from our list and get started feeling better and improving your quality of health and life! What are you waiting for?