There is nothing quite so frustrating as dry, flaky skin. With autumn fast approaching, many of us will be reaching for the closest solution to combat the dehydrating effects of cooler weather. Other causes of dry skin include desert-like climates, scalding hot showers, and irritant chemicals in soap or body wash.
Whatever the reason, we understand the struggle of tackling this problem and scoured the web for the best, most effective home remedies for dry skin. Whether you are dealing with the onset of weather that acts as an irritant or managing combination skin, these products and lifestyle changes are essential additions to your skincare repertoire.
1. How Accessible Are These Home Remedies?
Each of the following 10 home remedies we are about to discuss is cost-effective, natural options to maintain moisturized, glowing skin all year round. Several of them use products you likely already have in your home. A few involve simple changes to your routine.
2. What Do They Do?
Most of the treatment options discussed use natural products as moisturizing agents for your skin. This enables you to combat dryness without having to worry about pesky breakouts or harsh chemicals.
3. How Do They Work?
Each of the following home remedies for dry skin act as gentle counteragents to the outside elements and factors causing the dryness. They utilize naturally occurring properties to heal flakes and cracks resulting from your dry skin and environment.
How We Reviewed Our Top 10 Home Remedies for Dry Skin
In selecting the top 10 best home remedies for dry skin, we chose our list based on several key factors. These included each remedies' natural healing properties and potential for long-term effectiveness, pros and cons of each, the costs involved, and ease of access or purchase. Many of the home remedies discussed involve using simple products in their basic, untainted state to treat dry skin, while some only require you to use basic routine changes to improve overall dryness.
Overall Price Range
Each of the products discussed can be purchased within a price range of around $15.00-$70.00. Most products use simple, natural oils, gels and even pantry staples are on the lower end of the price spectrum.
What We Reviewed
- SUNFLOWER OIL natural oil that is extracted from sunflower seeds is cold pressed and refined for a potent pure carrier...
- ANTI-AGING SKIN CARE moisturizer for dry itchy irritated skin. Prevent acne and slow signs of aging such as fine lines...
- NATURAL HAIR CARE infuse hydration and nutrients to strengthen hair and boost hair growth for beautiful hair with luster...
While frequently used for cooking, sunflower seed oil has incredible moisturizing properties when rubbed into the skin. It has been proven to increase hydration and does not cause harm to the naturally occurring barriers in your skin.
Sunflower oil is primarily composed of omega-6 and omega-9 oils, which combat lines and signs of aging as well as dry flakes. It also has a long shelf life, so you can easily store it for long periods of time as a multi-use product in your home.
- VITAMIN-RICH MOISTURE FOR DRY SKIN - Made with 100% natural super-plants & organic...
- CALM ECZEMA WITH EASE - Aloe Vera is the most powerful and ancient healer to eczema as it...
- REPAIRS AND PROTECTS - Organic Aloe Vera soothes and protects damaged skin while promoting natural...
Aloe vera is one of the most commonly used home remedies for dry skin as its primary purpose is to treat topical conditions. The aloe has an innately cooling effect on the area on which it is applied and is especially soothing for use on peeling, sunburnt skin.
Aloe is composed of two hormones called auxin and gibberellins, which serve as a natural healing, anti-inflammatory agents to the skin. Aloe vera does require time to soak in, so allowing a period for skin absorption or applying it before bedtime will help you achieve the best results.
Petroleum jelly has long been used as one of the primary home remedies for dry skin. It is especially useful for older individuals as petroleum jelly is a strong anti-aging moisturizer.
Petroleum jelly is composed of mineral oil. Its thick consistency coats the skin like a shield, harnessing moisture to the specific treatment area. It is an ideal product to dissolve dry, flaky skin and retain a moisturized, youthful complexion.
- ULTRASONIC COOL MIST TECHNOLOGY: Safely moisturizes the air for up to 16 hours of continuous operation so you can...
- 1.5-LITER WATER TANK: Provides ideal coverage for bedrooms, offices, and other medium-sized rooms
- OPTIONAL NIGHT LIGHT: Offers soothing glow for maximum relaxation
Humidifiers are frequently used as home remedies for dry skin. Using a humidifier in your house is an especially effective way to reduce the dry air caused by home heating systems. Heating systems lower the amount of moisture in the air, but a humidifier operating at a level of 60% can completely counterbalance these consequences.
Mist humidifiers are easy to find and purchase and are of additional use when combatting any flu or cold symptoms. Mist humidifiers release moisture into the air for hours at a time and include a water tank and multiple settings which allow for use any time of the day. Some home heating systems have a naturally built-in humidifier, which would negate the need for any additional purchases. Be sure to check and see if your heating system in your home has one, so you can make use of it immediately.
- High Pressure handheld shower head with LED temperature display for pets and kids
- This shower is special for different people group in different water temperature, even the favorite shower temperature...
- Water Powered Display: Below 90°F(32℃) -Blue light, Between 90-108°F (32℃-40℃) -Green light, Between...
Handheld shower heads with built-in thermometers are especially helpful for controlling your shower temperature. They have an easy-to-read display to help you monitor heat levels and are designed for use by children and adults.
Controlling your shower temperature is one of the easiest home remedies for dry skin. Regulating shower temperature alone is not usually enough to eliminate dry skin, but when used with some other methods touched upon, you should notice major improvement.
Showering with too great a frequency in hot or scalding water has a very drying, tightening effect to the skin. In order to alleviate the symptoms of dry skin, make sure your bathroom door is closed when you shower and limit water use to 5 or 10 minutes time.
Keep water at a warm temperature, instead of hot. While they may feel wonderful, scalding showers can actually cause damage to your skin. In addition, try to use hypo-allergenic, fragrance-free soap and body wash whenever you shower.
- 100% natural and organic: USDA certified cold pressed and unrefined coconut oil with an extra virgin quality nourishes...
- Sourced from Sri Lanka: Non-crossbred trees planted in nutrient-rich coastal soil under hot tropical weather produce the...
- The health-conscious choice: A healthy alternative to other cooking oils with a high content of median-chain fatty acid...
Coconut oil is by far one of the most popular home remedies for dry skin as it is both an effective and versatile product. It is hazard free and brings quick, discernible results when used topically. In addition, it increases overall moisture and fat levels on the skin’s outer layer, which replaces dry flakes with a dewy glow.
Filled with healthy saturated fats, coconut oil acts as an emollient surrounding the areas between skin cells and smoothing the outer layer of the skin.
Coconut oil is widely used even on the most sensitive of skin types and is a nonirritant.
- A blend of Chinese Acacia and fennel honeys are combined to produce this smooth sweet honey.
- Pairs well with Parmigiano-Reggiano, tangy Cheddar, spicy blue, goat cheese
- Gluten Free, Suitable for vegetarians, and Kosher certified
Honey is a household staple for many, so you might be able to pull this one out of your pantry for use today. Honey is not only healing for various skin diseases but works as a moisturizing, anti-inflammatory agent. It is one of the most natural home remedies for dry skin and can be applied straight onto the affected area. Honey fights bacteria and eliminates dry patches swiftly and effectively.
- 8-count of single-use packets of Aveeno Soothing Bath Treatment with 100% Natural Colloidal Oatmeal for temporary...
- This 100% natural colloidal oatmeal bath soak is formulated to naturally soothe irritated skin due to poison...
- The warm, comforting bath treatment features a gentle, fragrance-free formula that is mild enough to relieve even...
Oatmeal baths are by far one of the most soothing, relaxing home remedies for dry skin and ease a host of other skin ailments. This remedy goes back hundreds of years and is famed for its successful, powerful results.
Specifically, colloidal oatmeal contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that calm aggravated skin. If you have itchy, dry flakes causing you grief, colloidal oatmeal is a sure way to find relief.
Using regular oatmeal ground down by a food processor or special oatmeal skin packets and adding that into a warm bath is the perfect recipe to treat dry skin. Be sure to use your favorite moisturizer afterward to maintain the moisturizing effects of the oatmeal bath.
- 36-fluid ounce bottle of Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Body Lotion to moisturize dry skin for a full 24 hours
- Contains a unique soothing oatmeal formula that absorbs quickly, leaving your skin soft, beautiful and healthy-looking
- Clinically proven and award winning daily lotion locks in skin’s moisture and improves skin’s health in just one day
A simple daily change to your routine is one of the best home remedies for dry skin. Whenever you wash your face or body, make sure to use a good moisturizer, whether your skin is experiencing a dry spell or not.
Maintaining ongoing moisture in your skin is one of the most effective methods for preventing dry patches. Using a sunscreen containing a solid moisturizing agent is another helpful way to maintain smooth, hydrated skin.
- Hypoallergenic. Dermatologist Tested. Free of dyes and perfumes
- 3-in-1 laundry pacs: detergent, stain remover, brightener
- Each pac of Tide Pods Free & Gentle provides a deeper clean (versus the leading Free detergent) that’s gentle on skin
The last of our home remedies for dry skin is another simple addition to your daily routine change. It is also useful to maintain ongoing hydration. When choosing laundry detergents to wash your clothes in, select those that are specifically labeled as hypoallergenic.
This will reduce skin irritation in your household across the board. In fact, the drying properties of regular detergents seep into and dry out your clothes, sucking out the moisture in your wardrobe and your skin.
Each of the products included in our top 10 best home remedies for dry skin is useful for different individuals with an assortment of skin needs and personal tastes. If you are looking for remedies easy to implement and having varied uses, household staples such as honey, oatmeal, petroleum jelly or coconut oil will hit the mark.
Of all the remedies discussed, we feel that for highly sensitive skin, coconut oil is the most effective for topical application. It truly is acceptable for the most sensitive of skin types and permeates the pores quickly and effectively. Coconut oil is also a multi-purpose staple you will find many uses for beyond the treatment of dry skin.
In terms of cost-effectiveness incorporating a daily moisturizer into your routine is one of the easiest, yet efficient ways to combat dry skin. A quality moisturizer only costs about $ and will prove invaluable to hydrate and smooth your skin.